Thursday, July 12, 2007

A Point of Change

Dunn may be more of a factor next season.

For the last few weeks, I have received a few messages regarding points and how they are distributed. Most of the concern revolves around pitching.

Now, before I go into some of the changes I am thinking about for next season, to help you all figure out what the league may look like next year, here are a few new rules I have just now established for this league.

Rule #1: When the losses are beginning to pile up, do not blame the point system for your failures.

Is the points system perfect? No. Is there a way to manipulate it to make quick and legitimate comebacks? Yes.

Keep in mind, I started the season 0-5. Now I'm 7-7 and in the thick of things. How did I get there? I targeted players, made some crazy trades and manipulated a roster that wasn’t getting the job done.

I guarantee you that having four second baseman on your roster is not the fault of the point system. Starting Adam Wainwright is not the fault of the point system. Starting any Yankee pitcher is not the fault of the point system. Starting relief pitchers over closers is not the fault of the point system.

If your team is losing a lot of games, check out your philosophy before blaming the league.

Rule #2: Don’t be a [female dog] and make a trade or two.

Next year, I am going to implement a rule that requires everyone to make at least three (3) trades before the July trading deadline or be subject to point reductions every week for the entire month of August and September. I’m thinking in the neighborhood of 50 points right now. Listen, this is fantasy baseball not the major leagues where you would get fired for trading Albert Pujols. Pujols, in fact, has been traded twice so far this season. That is not real life. It’s fantasy. So freaking make a trade for a left fielder you desperately need. Maybe even a first baseman and a pitcher.

In other words, Smurfs, make a deal. You are beginning to wreak of “Cardinal fanness”.

Rule #3: If you get ripped off in a trade, blame yourself you idiot.

That’s all I am going to say.

ANYWAY, here are a few thoughts on the current points system.

ANYWAY, now with the point changes. There is an understanding on my part that the scoring system is not perfect. There are certain players who are too overvalued and some that are undervalued. So with this in mind, I am mulling a few changes.

Here are the proposed hitting changes I am considering. The number in the parenthesis [( )] is the CURRENT value of that statistic.

Singles = 1 (1)
Doubles = 2 (2)
Triples = 3 (3)
Home Runs = 4 (4)
Note: a point per base sounds reasonable

Runs = 2 (1)
RBI = 2 (1)
Note: players who score or drive in runs should be rewarded. This also increases the value of home runs by two.

Stolen Bases = 3 (1)
Caught Stealing = -1 (- 1)
Note: Speed means nothing in this league. It is about to mean something.

Walks = 2 (2)
Intentional Walks = n/a (2)
Hit By Pitch = 2 (2)
Strikeouts = -1 (-2)
Note: it is easier to strike out than it is to walk. Players like Adam Dunn and Dan Uggla have no value as a result the strikeout-value. Also, additional points should not be added for being walked on purpose. Intentional walks will still be registered as a regular walk, only an extra two points will not be given.

Here are the proposed pitching changes I am considering. The number in the parenthesis [( )] is the CURRENT value of that statistic.

Innings Pitched = 1.5 (1.5)
Note: I have no complaints and I have heard no complaints.

Hits = 1 (1)
Hit By Pitch = -1 (-3)
Note: subtracting three points for hitting a batter seemed too extreme to me.

Walks = -1.5 (-3)
Strikeouts = 3 (3)
Note: it is easier to walk someone than it is to strike someone out. I am confident I could walk anyone in the major leagues. I am also confident a two-year-old could walk anyone in the major leagues. Strikeouts are a different deal. There are major league pitchers (Scott Elarton) who cannot strike out batters. Matt Cain was a guy I was thinking of when I made this change. Cain is too good to not have much value in this league.

Earned Runs = -3 (-2)
Note: giving up a run needs to sting more in this league. Subtracting three seems to be the most reasonable.

Wins = 10 (10)
Losses = -10 (-10)
Saves = 10 (5)
Blown Saves = -5 (-5)
Note: it should hurt to lose. So I’m good for keeping the numbers as there are for wins and losses. Blown saves are a different issue. Doing your job gains a closer 5 points. Not doing your job can cost a closer minus-15 points. That doesn’t seem right to me. But there should be punishment for blowing a save. Thus, the reason for the point changes. But, I’m not really sure if I like this change so much. It needs some tweaking.

Quality Starts = 5 (5)
Shutouts = 15 (15)
Note: There have been 19 shutouts thrown thus far in the majors. So I don’t think it is too much of a reoccurring event to devalue a shutout’s point total. Given win and loss values, I feel that quality starts are still fair.

All of this will be voted on later this year. I will start a thread on the league page for your comments or suggestions. Let me know what you think. If you have additional ideas, write them in the tread as well.

No comments: